Institute of Sheet Metal Engineering
Sheet Metal Skills Competition Report
Thursday 14th June 2018 Held At
ISME would like to thank the Museum and catering staff for the excellent hospitality & fish & chips lunch
The Apprentices and Trainers were very impressed with the Museum site, exhibits layout and facilities.
This year’s event bought in 27 apprentice competitors from 4 companies. This shows the need for young talent to make or maintain our sheet metal commodities whether in aerospace, ship building, automotive, construction, catering or retail hardware.
With Competitors from, Babcock Marine Technology, Sertec, PAB Coventry and Warwickshire College we had a good mix of test pieces to judge.
The Categories were;
- Wall vent year 1
- Ducting year 2
- Hinged Clasp (category for toolmaking apprentices)
- Open class exhibits.
We continue to praise the skills of the Apprentices for their workmanship and quality. Dimensional accuracy of the test pieces this year were to a very high standard with marking very close in all categories. The Open Class entries as normal gave the Judges a challenge to identify skills and originality; however we could really have done with more exhibits.
ISME also judge their written technical document that accompanies the component they have made. We believe that the written word is an essential part in the planning of how they go about producing their exhibit.
Like all events in today’s environment we are indebted to our event sponsors;
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers (ImechE)
- Sertec Group holdings
- Confederation of British Metalforming (CBM)
- AP&T Group
- Babcock Marine
- Midland Power Press Services
Without their support there would not be a competition.
THIS YEARS AWARD WINNERS
While Judging took place the Contestants & Trainers & enjoyed visiting the Black Country Living Museum.
As previously mentioned the ISME judges thought the quality standard was exceptionally high but were disappointed with the low numbers of Open Class exhibits.
The following awards given;
- Wall Vent Test Piece Winner(Frank Cooper Award) – Paige Sheridan, Sertec
- Wall Vent Test Piece Written Winner – Aidan Woodall, Babcock
- Ducting Test Piece Winner – Stephen Livick, Babcock
- Ducting Written Winner (Ted Rosmarin Award) – Stephen Livick, Babcock
- Clasp Test Piece Make Winner – Peter Dear, Sertec
- Clasp Test Piece Written Winner – Rhys Bowman, Sertec
- John Davies Award Open Class Winner – Stephen Livick, Babcock
- Open Class Written Award Winner – Lewis Brownlow, Babcock
- Open Class Originality – Aidan Woodall, Babcock
- ISME Trophy Overall Winner – Stephen Livick, Babcock
Thanks must go to the Company trainers, colleges and training schools for the time effort and support they give to the students and apprentices. Without their commitment, there would not be a competition. This also applies to the support of the ISME Judges who provide their time free of charge. We are currently planning to hold the 2019 event again in June which appears to be better for the College and training providers’ timetable. If you are interested in the next competition please contact; Adrian Nicklin ISME Event Officer Email firstname.lastname@example.org, Mobile 07774 260126